United stunned, City progress in FA Cup

Wolves qualified for their first FA Cup semi-final for over two decades courtesy of an impressive 2-1 win over Manchester United while Manchester edged closer to the title with an incredible second half performance to win 3-2 against Swansea City.

Molineux was rocking but the wet and windy conditions made it hard for the teams to find their rhythm and both sides had to make do with patient build-up which often failed to produce chances.

Arguably the best opportunity of the first half came towards the break when following a bungled United corner, Wolves broke with pace and after Diogo Jota found space on the left, Romero was quick off his line and saved well.

Romero was again called into action just after the interval when he tipped over Raul Jimenez’s header from a corner.

The breakthrough came on 70 minutes and it was the dangerous Jimenez who got the goal.

Joao Moutinho rescued an errant cross before passing into the box to find Jimenez who fired in on the turn after initially being shown backwards.

Wolves extended their lead on 76 minutes; Jota again counter-attacking well before outmuscling Luke Shaw and thrashing home with his left foot.

United’s misery looked set to be compounded soon after when Victor Lindelof was shown a red card for fouling his Portuguese tormentor. However, the decision was reverses to yellow after VAR consultation.
Marcus Rashford got a late consolation but for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer it was a second straight domestic defeat.

Manchester City controversially came back from a 2-0 down to beat the Championship outfit Swansea 3-2 to reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

City dominated the opening stages but it was Swansea who took the lead after 20 minutes. Connor Roberts got the wrong side of Delph before crudely being cut down in the box for a penalty, allowing Matt Grimes to step up and fire in convincingly.

It was 2-0 just before the half-hour mark and it was former City man Bersant Celina who doubled the advantage.

The visitors were reeling, squabbling between themselves as they went into half-time adrift.
Pep Guardiola initially stuck with the same XI but blinked after the hour as Oleksandr Zinchenko, Raheem Sterling and Sergio Aguero were introduced to the fray.

The pressure told on 69 minutes when Bernardo Silva arrowed in an effort from the left edge of the box to start the comeback.

City piled on the pressure but rode their luck and was fortunate to be given a penalty when Sterling went down under what appeared a clean challenge from Cameron Carter-Vickers. Aguero’s resulting spot-kick cannoned off the post but still went in off the unfortunate keeper.

Inevitably, the Argentine grabbed the winner with two minutes left, heading home Bernardo’s cross, despite Aguero appearing offside. –

Show More
Back to top button