Death of policeman: Cabbie charged for manslaughter

The taxi driver, Appiah Charles, who crashed to death Police Sergeant (Sgt) Appiah Owusu of the Formed Police Unit (FPU) of the Ghana Police Service, nearly 10 months ago at Ankwa Dobro near Nsawam, has been charged with manslaughter.  

This follows a directive from the Attorney-General’s Department (AG) to the Amasaman Divisional Police Command to formally charge Appiah with the offence.

The Amasaman Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent of Police (Chief Supt) Francis Yiribaare, who disclosed this to the Ghanaian Times in Accra, yesterday, said the Command was currently preparing to send the docket on the case to the A-G’s Department for advice.

The Ghanaian Times on April 20, 2018, reported that Sgt Appiah,  who was on duty at a police barrier  at Ankwa Dobro, was on April 19, crashed to death by  Appiah  whose vehicle  dragged Sgt Owusu  for more than 70 metres while he was still hanging on the vehicle, when he  attempted  to retrieve keys to  the car.

This was shortly after Sgt Owusu had arrested Appiah who had committed a traffic offence against Mrs Anita Nyarko-Yirenkyi, a senior reporter, at the New Times Corporation.

The deceased, sensing that the driver of the taxi cab with registration number ER-871-ER, was attempting to escape after being told he was under arrest.  

Appiah crashed the policeman against a concrete embankment in the middle of the road, abandoned the car, and he and an unidentified passenger, who was on board the car, bolted into a nearby bush leaving the wounded Sgt Owusu to his fate.

 Other policemen, who were on duty at the Ankwa Doboro Police barrier, fired several warning shots in an attempt to arrest Appiah.

The policemen rushed their colleague, who was bleeding in the nose, mouth and ear to the Amasaman Government Hospital, but was later referred to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival by doctors.

Appiah was arrested by the police 24 hours later, and an Accra Motor Court remanded and later granted him bail.


Show More
Back to top button