‘Osu Mantse chieftaincy dispute is very complex issue’

The youth of Osu have asked the government to be “vigilant” in dealing with both factions contending for the chieftaincy title in the area.

According to them the OsuMantse chieftaincy dispute was a very complex issue and that there was the need to allow the truth to prevail.

The Executive Secretary of the Osu Youth Development Association, Reginald NiiLarteyOpintan, said these in Osu, Accra yesterday to drum home their displeasure on the chieftaincy challenges arising after the demise of the late chief, Nii Okwei Kinka DowuonaVI, in February 2021.

He said “we want peace to bury the late OsuMantse and any attempt to use force to disrupt the funeral arrangements will not work.”

He alleged there were attempts by a group of people to “force” Bernard Botchway on the people of Osu, but said invading the palace would not work and advised them to halt that ploy.

MrOpintan said the OsuMantse Palace hosts the Osu Traditional Council secretariat, the Osu accredited KinkaweDzaase, Osu four quarters  Dzaase,  and  NiiOkweiKinkaDowuona VI funeral committee meetings.

 He, therefore, asked that those involved in the invasion should be brought to book saying that “the Ghana Police Service should be responsible.

“We are not blaming the Police Service for the many unfortunate things happening in Osu today but will only caution them to act professionally to avert any possible clash in the future.

“The youth of Osu are monitoring events and will take action at the appropriate time to defend and protect Osu from these unscrupulous persons whose agenda is to come and create, loot and share Osu properties to the detriment of the youth,” he said.

A staff at the Osu palace who pleaded anonymity said the palace had been taken over by some youths he described as land guards on the midnight of Saturday.

 He said some of the staff resident at the palace were beaten, while others had their mobile phones seized, adding that due to the situation, the traditional council staff have not reported to work since Monday.

When the Ghanaian Times visited the palace around 11:30a.m. Tuesday morning, it noticed heavy police presencein the area especially at the entrance of the palace.

BY JEMIMA ESINAM KUATSINU

Show More
Back to top button