British world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury could fight American Deontay Wilder for a third time in October, says promoter Frank Warren.
Last month, Fury, 31, gained a seventh-round technical knockout win over Wilder at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to take the WBC title from him.
The pair had previously fought in Los Angeles in December 2018, which ended in a controversial draw.
“Tyson’s got Deontay’s number, even if they fought in 10 years,” said Warren.
After the fight in February, Fury said his career would be “completed” if he faced fellow Briton Anthony Joshua – the current holder of the WBA, IBF and WBO world heavyweight titles – a bout that would give heavyweight boxing its first undisputed champion since Lennox Lewis held all the belts in 2000.
However, Wilder triggered a clause in their second-fight contract, which gave him a 30-day window to accept a trilogy fight, with a date of July 18 in Las Vegas originally talked about, although that will not be possible now because of the global coronavirus pandemic.
“The 18th will not happen,” added Warren, who confirmed no Fury-Wilder bout, would take place behind closed doors. “The commission in Nevada has said ‘no boxing’ for the foreseeable future and Las Vegas has closed down all the casinos – it’s like a ghost town there.
“A fight between them behind closed doors just won’t happen – these guys are too big names to be fighting behind closed doors.”
Meanwhile, Joshua is now scheduled to fight Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on 20 June, although Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has said it could be pushed back to July because of the knock-on effect of the Premier League season going past its scheduled May finish.
“Tyson’s contractual obligation was to have a third match with Wilder so it’s very difficult to talk about Joshua,” added Warren. –BBC