Six people were injured when a Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) vehicle on Tuesday got involved in a road crash on the main Dormaa-Berekum road.
This occurred when the GNFS responded to a call in connection with an accident involving a cargo truck and tricycle, on the road.
The six injured riding crew, were rushed to the Dormaa Presbyterian Hospital.
A statement signed by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) Director of Public Relations, Assistant Chief Officer Grade One (ACOF1), Timothy Osafo- Affum, confirmed the accident to the Ghanaian Times.
It said the immediate cause of the accident, which made the firefighting vehicle to summersault and land on its roof, was not yet known, and assured the public of continuous service delivery by GNFS in the Dormaa Municipality.
“Also, management wish the injured firemen speedy recovery and assure them of the best medical care to guarantee their quick and complete recovery,” the statement said.
It is recalled that five people were feared dead in two separate fire outbreaks in Kumasi, Ashanti, and Dzodze, in Volta regions, between September 17 and 19, this year, respectively.
The two domestic fires burnt a-nine bedroom self-contained house, in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, and a chamber and hall apartment at Dzodze, in the Volta Region, which served as residential accommodation for respective families.
Fire fighters salvaged four out of the nine rooms from burning in the Kumasi incident while the chamber and hall, where petrol was kept was totally burnt in the Dzodze incident.
In the Kumasi incident, the victims were trapped and burnt to death because they could not open the burglar proof whiles in the Dzodze incident, the victims were burnt because they had stored fuel in the residence.
In the Kumasi incident, a mother and her two children lost their, and the husband escaped with the support of some residents although he suffered injuries, and was taken to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
The GNFS said “it is advisable that each room in the home is fitted with early warning devices (Smoke Alarms) to alert occupants in the event of fire outbreaks to escape on time”.
BY ANITA ANKRAH