Wout Weghorst has reportedly terminated his loan deal at Besiktas, with the striker now heading to England to complete a move to Manchester United.
The 30-year-old has emerged as Man United’s leading target over the last week, with the Red Devils working to sign him on loan from Burnley for the rest of the season.
A deal had been complicated by the fact that Weghorst has been on loan at Besiktas, and the Turkish giants had the option to sign him on a permanent basis this summer.
Besiktas president, Ahmet Nur Cebi, said earlier this week that the Netherlands international would only be allowed to leave the Turkish outfit once a replacement had been signed.
“With the victories over Adana Demirspor and Kasimpasa, we have caught a good mood
again,” Cebi told Milliyet.
“In this critical period, I will not leave the team without a striker. If we agree on the terms after getting in a quality striker, then we will send Weghorst away. Otherwise, Weghorst will stay in the team.”
According to Sky Sports News, Weghorst visited the Besiktas offices on Thursday morning to sign the paperwork which officially terminated his loan.
The report claims that the striker will now head to England to undergo a medical with Erik ten Hag’s side ahead of signing a loan deal for the remainder of the season.
Man United will allegedly pay a total package of £4m to sign the Netherlands international until the end of the 2022-23 campaign.
Weghorst could potentially be involved in Saturday’s Manchester derby with Manchester City if he is registered by 12pm on Friday afternoon.
The centre-forward has been in impressive form for Besiktas during the 2022-23 campaign, scoring nine goals and registering four assists in 18 appearances in all competitions.
Weghorst moved to Burnley in January 2022 off the back of an impressive spell with Wolfsburg, which saw him score 70 goals and register 22 assists in 144 appearances for the German outfit in all competitions.
The striker found it difficult to make his mark for the Clarets last term, though managing only two goals and three assists in 20 Premier League appearances.
Weghorst, who has a contract with Burnley until the summer of 2025, represented his country at the 2022 World Cup, scoring twice in the quarter-final with Argentina.
Man United have been searching for a new forward to boost their attacking options, with Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract at the club being terminated at the end of November. – Reuters