WAFA silence Oly in Accra

Accra Great Olympics’ impressive run was halted yesterday when they were defeated 1-0 by WAFA in their week seven Ghana Premier League fixture at the Accra Sports Stadium.

Asamany Eric’s 25th minute goal ensured the academy boys walked away with the three points heading into the next round of matches.

The striker who had threatened the goal area of Olympics on few occasions picked a loose ball after an error from Zakari Hamza and raced into the Oly goal area to lob beautifully over Joshua Opoku in goal.

It was WAFA’s first win in five matches and doing so away from home was a delight.

Olympics, prior to the defeat had picked seven points out of their last three matches and were looking forward to another win ahead of their trip to Kumasi to face King Faisal in their next fixture.

Their ambitions reflected in the early part of the game when they dominated possession with skipper Gladson Awako as the architect-in-chief but failed to utilise their chances to unsettle their opponent.

Olympics dominance almost paid off in the 20th minute when Isaac Gyamfi, after a one-two move with Awako, fired a shot at the edge of the penalty area but went inches off the post.

That was the best they could get in the first half before WAFA took the lead and gained confidence to take the game to the home side.

They almost doubled the lead immediately as Asamany was left unmarked but fired wide from close range when he had only the goalkeeper to beat.

Another huge opportunity fell on the foot of Sampson Agyapong who attempted a spectacular lob from over 40 yards when he noticed goalkeeper Joshua Opoku was off his lines but the goalie run back quickly to parry the ball off for a corner.

WAFA maintained their brilliant display to share the ball possession with the Wonder club till recess.

Olympics regrouped and got back into the game with the introduction of fresh and experience players including Ollenu Ashitey, Emmanuel Amartey and Emmanuel Clottey who came on later in the game.

But that did not count for anything as WAFA remained resolute and determined to walk away with the three points as they neutralised every attack from Olympics attackers.

The closest the host came was a penalty call in the 84 minute when Awako was brought down by his marker in the box but the referee ignored the call to the displeasure of the furious fans.

Olympics would be looking forward to bounce back in their midweek encounter with King Faisal in Kumasi.


Show More
Back to top button