Togolese who entered Ghana illegally is Bono’s first COVID-19 case

Seventy-eight persons have so far been traced and quarantined in the Jaman North District of the Bono Region, following the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the district.

A 27-year-old Togolese migrant who entered the country in the company of nine others through unapproved route in the Jaman North District in the last week of April, 2020, tested positive for COVID-19.

He was apprehended along with the nine others last week by personnel of the Ghana Immigration Service at the Sampa border.

The Bono Regional Director of the Ghana Health Service, Dr Kofi Issah, who addressed the media yesterday on the issue said, test results received on May 6, 2020, confirmed that all but one out of 10 migrants arrested at the border tested positive for COVID-19.

“Additionally, the remaining nine have been handed over to the national security,” he said.

Dr Issah said that measures had been put in place to ensure an effective contact tracing in the Jaman North District, in other to contain any possible spread of the virus.

He, however, advised residents of the region to continue to adhere to the safety protocols, to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 in the area.

Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Regional Minister, Mrs Ama Kumi Richardson, assured residents in the region not to panic as efforts were underway to contain the virus.

“Let us remain calm while observing the requisite social distancing protocols and wearing of face masks. I am hopeful that with these measures, among others, we will successfully prevail against the virus,” she said.

FROM DANIEL DZIRASAH, SUNYANI

Show More
Back to top button