Taxi driver killed in Hohoe by stray police bullet

 Bismark Charles Opare, a 29-year-old taxi driver, died on Saturday from a suspect­ed stray bullet discharged during a police operation at Gbi Wegbe in the Hohoe Municipality.

Assistant Commissioner of Po­lice, Mr Jonathan Lamptey, Hohoe Divisional Police Commander, who confirmed the incident to the Ghana News Agency (GNA), said an investigation had begun into the incident.

He appealed to the youth to remain calm and assist the police in the investigations.

Mr Andy Agbi, a cousin of the deceased, who also confirmed the incident on Saturday to the GNA, said the body had been sent to the morgue for autopsy.

He said the cousin was not connected to the supposed oper­ation by the police officers but a bystander, who was struck by the bullet at mid-night.

Mr Agbi said information avail­able to them had it that the said officers were not from the Hohoe Municipality but from Ho on a special mission.

He said his last meeting with Opare was after the Argentina and Netherlands match on Friday in the ongoing World Cup tourna­ment in Qatar, and only received the unfortunate message at 1:37 a.m.

Mr Agbi said he rushed to see the lifeless body of his cousin, which had an opening on the left side of his abdomen, exposing the internal organs.

He said the body was conveyed to the morgue at about 9 a.m. on Saturday.

He said the family and the youth of the town were patiently waiting for the law to take its course and expressed the belief justice would be delivered.

Mr Agbi, who conducted the GNA round the incident scene and showed it a bullet-ridden wall nearby.

An eyewitness, who wished not to be named, said the officers, who were in two police vehicles, were not in any uniform that could identify them with the police service.

He said after the football match, a young man went out to pick something from his vehicle, parked at a roundabout in town but was handcuffed by the police without them telling him his offence or crime.

He said the police led the handcuffed youth to his house, apparently to conduct a search.

The witness said the town-folks around followed the police until they got to their destination and watched them enter the ‘suspect’s’ room and bring out some items and then arrest one other person.

He said people were then massing up at the place, in­cluding Opare, resulting in the police giving warning shots and a bullet allegedly struck Opare, who screamed for help until he passed on.

The police subsequently left the scene with those arrested together with the items picked from the house they entered. -GNA

Show More
Back to top button