Police, military out in full force …as they step up operatives to enforce partial lockdown

The police and military have stepped up its operational measures in Accra to enforce the partial lockdown announced by President Nana Addo DankwaAkufo-Addo on March 27, as it entered into day two.

This follows abuse of the restrictions by some individuals on the first day of the implementation of the lockdown in some areas within the capital.

Some of the abuses identified by the Police included non-compliance of the social distance protocols spelt out for commercial vehicles, influx of people into town for activities other than those described as essential and loitering around by individuals. 

As part of the scale-up measures, the number of road barriers and snap checkpoints has been increased.

Additionally more men have been deployed into the communities and onto the streets to make their presence more visible.

Barriers have now been mounted at the Kaneshie First Light, New Times Corporation road, Dansoman Last Stop, Awudome and Kawukudi areas though there were no barriers on the first day.

Similarly, the number of barriers and checkpoints on some of the principal streets has been increased across the entire stretch to ensure strict compliance.

Due to the situation there was vehicular traffic at the barriers as police check number of occupants in vehicles, ensuring social distance and those exempt from the directive.

The Director-General of Operations of the Ghana Police Service, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Kweku Boadu Pepra in an interview with the Ghanaian Times said the reason for the step-up was as a result of indiscipline on the part of some members of the public.

He said people were coming to town for no reason and abusing the stay order directive which aimed at preventing the spread of the COVID-19.

DCOP Pepra said as part of the step-up no commercial vehicle would now be allowed to enter the lockdown areas.

He advised the public to adhere to the directives to ensure the prevention of the spread of the disease.

“We need the co-operation of all to ensure that the exercise becomes successful and also ensure the spread is prevented,” he added.

It would be recalled that President Nana Addo-Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Friday night announced a temporary lockdown in some areas in the country as part of measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19.

For the next two weeks residents of Accra, Tema, Kumasi and Obuasi are expected to stay indoors, except when they needed to buy food, water, medicine, undertake banking transactions or visit public toilet.

The lockdown, according to the president was necessary measures to control the spread of the disease.

Ghana has so far recorded 161 cases with five deaths.

BY ANITA NYARKO-YIRENKYI

Show More
Back to top button