Ofankor landlord murder case: Autopsy report on deceased ready

The autopsy report on Benjamin Okyere, the musician and tenant, who was allegedly murdered by his landlord, Stephen Nana Kamkam, in Accra, is ready.

Prosecuting, Chief Inspector Stephen Ahialey, on Monday told the Abeka District Court, that the police would forward the report to the Attorney-General’s Office.

The court explained to three family members of the deceased, the legal processes before judgment could be delivered, and cautioned that it would not hesitate to order the arrest of sympathisers, who may throng the court to make noise and cause mayhem.

In the absence of Nana Kamkam, the case was adjourned to July 6.

Kamkam, a businessman, was arrested by the police when he allegedly shot and killed Okyere, his tenant, over rent, on May 25, this year.

Kamkam, also known as Nii Kojo Konim Obio-Cyhoera, has provisionally been charged with the murder of Okyere, but his plea has been preserved by the court.

At the last sitting, prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Ahialey, said the deceased was a musician who lived at Ofankor Spot-M and Kamkam, his landlord, who was into real estate, also resided at the same area.

Prosecution said two years ago, the deceased rented an apartment from the accused but the tenancy expired on May 24, this year.

Chief Insp Ahialey said Okyere opted for renewal of the tenancy agreement, which Kamkam accepted, but later asked Okyere to vacate the apartment.

The court heard that on the afternoon of May 25, Kamkam took his loaded pump action gun, hired a taxi and went to the residence of Okyere.

Kamkam called Okyere at the gate and requested him to hand over the keys to the apartment to him.

Chief Insp Ahialey said the deceased, had earlier called John Bosco Kotah, a police officer friend, on phone to come to his aid.

He said when Kotah arrived, he saw Kamkam in possession of a weapon so entered Okyere’s room to take a phone to make a call to another policeman for assistance,

Chief Insp Ahialey said the deceased was at the main gate with the accused and without any provocation Kamkam opened fire and shot Okyere four times at close range.

He said when Kotah heard the gun shots, he came out of the room only to see the accused running away, but chased Kamkam to a distance, and returned to attend to Okyere.

Prosecution said Okyere was rushed to Anecja Hospital at Tantra Hills and later taken to the Achimota Mile Seven Police Station where a complaint was lodged.

Chief Insp Ahialey said Okyere was rushed to the Police Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The court heard that when a team of policemen, led by Deputy Superintendent of Police, George Asare, went to the crime scene, they saw human blood splashed at the entrance of the main gate to the deceased’s apartment.

Four spent AA cartridges were retrieved at the scene and when accused was later arrested at his residence at Ofankor Spot-M, two pump action guns, loaded with seven and eight rounds of cartridges, respectively, were found in his room. –  GNA

Show More
Back to top button