‘Mali, Russian fighters behind massacre’

Harrowing accounts are emerging of Malian troops and suspected Russian mercenaries allegedly executing about 300 people in central Mali.

Residents told Human Rights Watch (HRW) that the killings took place during an operation against militant Islamists over four days in late March.

Detained men were ordered to walk in groups of up to 10, before being executed, HRW said.

“I lived in terroreach minute, each second, thinking it would be my turn to be taken away and executed. Even after being told to go, I feared it was a trap,” one man who witnessed some executions was quoted as saying.

“As I walked away, slowly, I held my hand on my chest, holding my breath, and waiting for a bullet to pass through my body,” he added.

Mali’s military admitted on Saturday that it had killed more than 200 militants in a “large-scale” assault on the “terrorist fief” of Moura.

The West African nation’s junta denied that mercenaries from Russia’s Wagner group were helping it fight the insurgents.

On Tuesday, Germany joined the US, France and the European Union to call for an independent investigation, involving the UN mission in the country, into what happened in the village of Moura, which is in Mali’s central Mopti region.

In its statement, HRW said there had been a “deliberate slaughter” of people detained.

“The Malian government is responsible for this atrocity, the worst in Mali in a decade, whether carriedout by Malian forces or associated foreign soldiers.”

HRW described Moura as being under the “quasi-control” of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).

It quoted a local as saying that some of those killed “were really jihadists, but many others were killed simply because they had been forced by the same jihadists to cut their pants and grow their beards”.

Others said the killings were ethnically based, with the Fulani, largely Muslim semi-nomadic herders, known in Mali as the Peulh, targeted.

HRW said it had learned from 19 witnesses, including those from Moura and six other villages, that soldiers arrived by helicopter near the livestock market on  March27and exchanged gunfire for some 15 minutes with about 30 Islamist fighters. -BBC

Show More
Back to top button