The violent clashes between Konkombas and Chokosis in the Chereponi district of the North East Region have intensified, as more homes have been burnt.
Reports reaching the Ghanaian Times on Tuesday indicated that houses in 20 communities in the district were totally burnt to ashes.
A teacher, Kosi Yawka, in a telephone interview with the Ghanaian Times, said two communities close to the Saboba district were set ablaze in the morning of Tuesday.
He also revealed that about seven people have been killed in the communal clashes that erupted three days ago.
However the police command has confirmed that only two people have been killed in the clash between the two tribes.
The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO) Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Mohammed Yussif Tanko in an interview with the Ghanaian Times stated that security personnel have recorded two deaths.
He also mentioned that eight more people have been arrested by the police and were assisting in investigations.
The Police PRO revealed that six single-barrelled guns and one locally manufactured gun have been retrieved from the conflict area.
DSP Tanko said that security personnel were finding it difficult to get to some communities in the conflict area because the roads were in deplorable state.
He said the Regional Police Command had beefed up security to help stop hostilities.
Hundreds of residents mostly women and children have fled the district to neighbouring communities in Togo.
It would be recalled that last year renewed communal clashes between Konkombas and Chokosis erupted in the Chereponi district.
Several people were killed in the clashes and properties worth millions of cedis were destroyed.
Schools, hospital and other government offices were deserted during the last year’s violence between the ethnic groups.
FROM YAKUBU ABDUL-MAJEED, CHEREPONI