Horrendous road carnage …over 80 killed in 2 road crashes

A ghastly accident involving two buses on the Kintampo-Techiman Highway on Friday dawn had left more than 70 passengers dead in the Bono-East Region.

The Ghanaian Times gathered that the accident which occurred at Amoma-Nkwanta near Kintampo was as a result of a head on collision between an ANKAI VVIP bus with registration number GT 3916-17 with passengers on board from Accra to Bolgatanga and a Kia Grand Bird Bus with registration number GT 5694-18 also with passengers travelling from Garu in the Upper-East Region to Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.

The VVIP bus was being driven by Alexander Amoako Gyan, 54 years, now deceased.

The Kintampo Municipal Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police Joseph Antwi Gyau confirmed the story to the Ghanaian Times and said the Kia Grand Bird caught fire and some of the trapped passengers were burnt beyond recognition.

ACP Antwi Gyau who could not confirm the number of passengers who perished said the death toll could rise due to the severity of the accident as most of the accident victims who survived are in critical conditions receiving treatment at both Techiman and Jema Government Hospital.

The Commander said a number of the injured have been rushed to the Jema and Techiman Hospital for treatment whilst the dead bodies have also been sent to the same facilities.

The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) was on hand to quench the fire, retrieved and sent dead bodies to the mortuary. 

Meanwhile, about 10 people are feared dead in another fatal accident which occurred at Ekumfi Dunkwa on the Winneba-Cape Coast Highway in the Ekumfi District of the Central Region.

The accident involved a Yutong bus which was travelling from Takoradi to Accra and a Metro Mass Transit bus heading towards Cape Coast.

According to an eyewitness, the Yutong bus was trying to overtake another vehicle in the wet morning when the accident occurred.

Body parts littered the scene just as blood ran everywhere.

The injured have been rushed to the Winneba Trauma Hospital and the Mankessim Catholic Hospital while the bodies of the deceased have been deposited at the mortuary of the same hospitals.


Show More
Back to top button