Ghana’s COVID-19 confirmed cases now 6,964 …2,097 recover

The Western Region has been identified as the latest hotspot for COVID-19 as the country’s case count shores up to 6,964 cases.

Recoveries have increased to 2,097 after 27 patients recuperated while death toll remains 32.

Director General of the Ghana Health Service, Dr. Patrick Aboagye who disclosed these at yesterday’s COVID-19 briefing said of the 156 new cases recorded in five regions, the Western Region accounted for 57.

“Cases are surging mainly at Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis and Tarkwa. We are going to dispatch a team there to ascertain the situation and offer support to contain it as we did in the case of Obuasi,” he stated.

Ahead of the team’s arrival, he said health personnel in the region had isolated the infected persons and were currently embarking on contract tracing to contain the virus.

Of the new cases, Greater Accra, which is the main hotspot for the virus, recorded 72, while Ashanti, earlier named the second hotspot had four cases, with Central and Volta registering 13 and 10 cases respectively.

According to Dr Aboagye, aside the Savanna Region which recorded its first case last week, the remaining ten regions had not recorded any new case for some time.

He alsorevealed that 15 of the over 6,000 cases were in severe condition although none of them was on a ventilator while about 800 patients in isolation across the country.

 Shedding more light on the Savannah Region’s single case, he said the patient was a 31 year old man who lives in Tamale in the Northern Region but works at Salaga in the Savannah.

The Director –General said sample was taken on May 15 as part of the enhanced surveillance for high risk groups and confirmed on May 21 as an asymptomatic carrier of the virus.

“[He has been self-isolated in his home after satisfying all legibility criteria for home management” he said, adding that 12 contacts have been traced, tested and under self-quarantined awaiting retesting.

He also mentioned that they are still awaiting the results of the 245 Ghanaian deportees who currently going under a 14 day mandatory quarantine after arriving in the country on Saturday.

“We continue to see more regions and districts not reporting new cases and reducing incidence of cases.  The phenomenon periodic flare up of cases in certain communities. Response remain swift”, he said.

BY JONATHAN DONKOR

Show More
Back to top button