The woes of freelance journalist, Sacut Amenga-Etegu, is not over yet as he has been re-arrested by the police after the Criminal Division “5” of the Accra High Court discharged him on Tuesday.
Amenga-Etegu was arrested by National Security operatives last week for allegedly recording proceedings in court without permission.
Justice Lydia Osei Marfo, the presiding judge, said the journalists conduct could be a security threat to the court and the country. She said she heard noise outside her courtroom as she was calling a case for trial.
According to the judge what she heard “on the corridors of the Court were not ordinary noise” prompting her to cause the Court Warrant Officer (CWO) to investigate.
Detective Inspector Dometi Wisdom told the court that Amenga-Etugu was spotted attempting to take a video of the National Security operatives and accused while they were leaving the courtroom.
The Ministry of National Security in a statement, said Mr Amenga-Etegu, was arrested on the orders of the High Court for filming and/or videoing the Court’s proceedings without authority.
The Ministry said its attention had been drawn to “a false publication in circulation on social media indicating Mr Amenga-Etegu was unduly arrested and detained by personnel of the Ministry.”
It said the journalist was arrested at the premises of the court where he went to follow up on a case of extortion levelled against some operatives of the Ministry of National Security.
BY MALIK SULLEMANA