Driver’s mate arrested in connection with killing of policeman at Madina

A driver’s mate has been arrested by the police in connection with the case in which a policeman was run over and killed by a commercial vehicle, popularly called “Trotro”,at Madina, Accra, last Friday.

The head of Public Relations of the Accra Regional Police Command, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Effia Tenge disclosed this to the Ghanaian Times in Accra yesterday, indicating that the driver’s mate (name withheld) was being held in police custody to assist in investigations.

However, she has saidthe police have mounted a search for the arrest of the driver, Bonsu Osei, who is on the run, and appealed to the public to volunteer information that could lead to his arrest.

DSP Tenge said the suspect, Bonsu Osei, was reported to have run over Sergeant Moses Appiah of the Madina Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD), last Friday.

She said on February 28, at about 9a.m, Osei was driving a transit bus with registration number GR 4880-20 with two persons on board from Madina heading towards UPSA- Bawaleshie road.

DSP Tenge said on reaching a section of the road in front of the Trinity Theological Seminary, he was intercepted by Sgt Appiah and one other police officer of Madina MTTD for soliciting passengers, unauthorised parking and obstruction of other road users at the Zongo Junction, Madina,  and they were pursued by the police.

The police PRO said  after Osei was intercepted Sgt Appiah stood in front of the vehicles and ordered the driver to alight from the vehicle, but without any provocation the driver become furious and ran his vehicle over the policeman and got trapped under the vehicle.

She said  the deceased was dragged  on the ground to a distance of about 54.50metres, injuring him severely, and was rushed to the 37 Military Hospital for treatment by a good Samaritan, but died on arrival.

DSP Tenge said the suspect fled the scene with his vehicle and abandoned it and bolted, and some members of the public arrested the driver’s mate and handed him over to the police.

DSP Tenge said the vehicle had been impounded at the police station whilst investigations into the case continued.


Show More
Back to top button