Disregard for safety protocols impedes COVID-19 fight in Ahafo Region — Dr Boateng

The Ahafo Regional Director of Health Services, Dr Boakye Boateng, has disclosed that the poor compliance with COVID-19 safety protocols among residents in the area is undermining efforts at containing the spread of the pandemic.

He said even though President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo had made the wearing of nose masks mandatory, residents of the region were not adhering to the safety protocols against COVID-19.

Dr Boakye Boateng in an interview with the Ghanaian Times said though COVID-19 case count had seen a sharp rise from one to eight cases as at Friday, June 19, 2020, some residents especially those in the rural communities were not complying with the wearing of nose mask, washing of hands with soap under running water and the social distancing.

He called on MMDCEs, assembly members, traditional leaders and other people to champion the wearing of face masks to prevent the spread of the virus.

The Ahafo Region was until recently the only region in Ghana without a confirmed case of COVID-19, until it recorded its first case last Friday June 8, when an ambulance driver got infected.

Since then, seven additional cases have been confirmed in the region, with six as a result of contact tracing the health directorate had been conducting since the first case was recorded, with the other case originating from Bechem.

Dr Boakye Boateng said the seven COVID-19 patients, including a pregnant woman who gave birth to a baby girl, were doing well under self-isolation at the St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital in Hwidiem.

The Regional Health Director advised the public to refrain from stigmatising COVID-19 patients and explained that it was tough for the health directorate to enforce health safety protocols among residents in the mining communities, and that it required urgent assistance from the police to enforce compliance before the unexpected happened.

FROM DANIEL DZIRASAH, GOASO

Show More
Back to top button