The Accra Circuit Court yesterday refused to grant bail to 12 persons accused for their alleged involvement in Bawku chieftaincy disturbances.
The court said it lacked the jurisdiction to admit the accused who were arrested last Tuesday over renewed ethnic clashes, which resulted in loss of lives and destruction of property.
They are Issahaku Barkin, Samuel Abdul Rahman, Seidu Mohammed Saani, Richard Amevor, Nantogma Kwami, IddrisuShaibu, Namaw Osman Nabia, Inusah Belko, Abdulai Gboo, Abdulai Nangbon Dana, Naa Tampuri and Dr Samuel Burgri .
Ruling on the motion for bail filed by Mr Martin Kpebu, counsel for the accused, the judge, Mr Conkrad Sackey said the matter before it, bothered on “fundamental human rights and it is only the High Court that has jurisdiction.”
Mr Kpebu argued that keeping the accused beyond nine days constitute a breach of their constitutional rights.
He said the conduct of the prosecution was tantamount to throwing the 1992 Constitution of Ghana to the dogs.
Mr Kpebu told the court that, Richard Amevor, is a trotro driver and was only arrested because some of the people joined his vehicle, adding that the accused was not an indigene of Bawku.
Dr Bugri, according Mr Kpebu, was a retired medical officer who is more than 80 years old and that detaining him for nine days meant the prosecution wanted to take his life.
Opposing the application for bail, Ms Vivian Osei Tutu, a state attorney, reminded the court that the matter has been filed at the High Court on December 30, last year.
According to her, once the High Court was ceased with the facts of the case, the Circuit Court lacks the capacity to deal with the case.
BY MALIK SULLEMANA