Alleged treason trial: Witness denies manufacturing guns for coup

Donya Kafui, alias Ezor, who is standing trial for allegedly plotting with others to overthrow the govern­ment, has denied he manufac­tured guns to stage a coup.

He appeared before the High Court, presided over by a three-member-panel, made up of Justices Afia Serwaa Asare-Bot­we, Hafisata Amaleboba and Ste­phen Oppong, all Appeal Court judges with additional responsi­bility as High Court judges.

Ezor, the second witness in the ongoing alleged treason trial, said that he was invited by Staff Sergeant Sule Kwadwo Awarf, the star prosecution witness, to Accra, to repair guns and make pipes for musketry.

Ezor said he was told the guns were for the Military High Command, adding that Sergeant Awarf brought two guns for test-firing at the military shoot­ing range, Teshie, in Accra.

The second witness said that during the process, he, together with the late Dr Frederick Mac- Palm, who accompanied Awarf, were arrested, and the weapons seized.

Ezor said that repairing of the guns and making of pipes for musketry were not meant for criminal activities.

Ezor, a steel bender, welder and blacksmith, lived in Alavan­yo, in the Volta region. However, the witness statement, he had earlier given to the police indi­cated that he was a blacksmith and farmer, which earned him the best farmer in the Hohoe Municipality, in 2011.

Ezor, who is currently stand­ing trial with eight others, said in July 2019, he had a phone call from Staff Sergeant Awarf, to come to Accra.

The witness said on arrival in Accra, he was picked at the 37 Military Hospital bus stop and taken to Dr Mac-Palm’s place.

“Later, Staff Sergeant Awarf, asked me to repair some guns for him whiles I lodged with him at Burma Camp, but I declined thus, I was taken to the Citadel Hospital, owned by the late Dr Mac-Palm,” Ezor said.

Ezor said he started cutting the pipes for musketry at the Citadel Hospital when Sergeant Awarf also brought him guns to be repaired. He said after the test-firing which led to their arrest, he did not hear from Ser­geant Awarf again. — GNA

Show More
Back to top button