An 85- year – old man was burnt to death beyond recognition on Thursday when a security post at which he was working was gutted by fire at Tano-Odumase, in the Sekyere South District of the Ashanti Region.
Opanin Kwame Tawiah was taking care of a pumping machine that supply water to Kona and Tano-Odumase communities, when the incident occurred.
The Assembly Members for Tano-Odumase, Mr Kwaku Ofori, told the Ghanaian Times that by the time inhabitants rushed there, the old man had been burnt to death.
“The fire was so powerful that it was impossible for us to go closer and break the door for any possible intervention”, he said.
Mr Ofori said the police at Kona collected the remains and taken to the Tano-Odumase Hospital’s mortuary after the fire was quenched by fire personnel.
It was believed a mosquito coil might have caused the fire outbreak and a police source at the Kona Police station, confirmed the incident, saying investigations were ongoing.
FROM KINGSLEY E.HOPE, KUMASI