The police have apprehended four persons in connection with renewed communal clashes between the Konkombas and Chokosis, at Chereponi in the North East Region.
The Northern Regional Public Relations Officer (PRO), Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Yussif Mohammed Tanko, disclosed this to the Ghanaian Times in an interview yesterday.
He stated the four were grabbed in the early hours of Sunday at different locations in the district, adding that the suspects were carrying single-barreled guns at the time of their arrest.
DSP Tanko indicated that the four were being detained to assist in police investigations.
There were reported gunshots in some communities near Chereponi on Saturday afternoon, and no official reason has been assigned to the shooting, but some people suspected that it was a renewed clash between Konkombas and Chokosis.
The police stated that there has been no death recorded in the clashes between the two ethnic groups, but about six persons sustained gunshot wounds.
DSP Tanko said that the Regional Police Command has dispatched a combined team of military and police personnel to the area, to help restore peace.
“The regional command has already deployed security personnel to the area to maintain law and order there,” he stressed.
Several people within the Chereponi district were killed last year in a communal clash between the two ethic groups.
Many houses and other properties such as tractors, motorcycles, stores and foodstuff were burnt in the hostilities.
Additionally hundreds of people most of whom were women, were said to have fled to neighbouring Togo during the heat of last year’s violence in the area.
The Ministry of the Interior in collaboration with the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC)) in an attempt to resolve the impasse between the two groups, commissioned a fact-finding committee to assist find a solution to the problem.
The ministry and REGSEC are still studying the report of the committee presented to them just last week.
FROM YAKUBU ABDUL-MAJEED, CHEREPONI