3 remanded for  allegedly dealing in narcotic drugs

Three persons, who allegedly traded in narcotic drugs, attacked some residents of Nungua and robbed victims of their valuables, have been remanded by the Circuit Court in Accra.

Lucky Obi, a 32-year-old Nigerian trader, Dominic Agyare, a 22-year-old unemployed and Mohammed Fuseini, a 63-year-old mason, were jointly held for selling narcotic drugs.

However, Agyare and Fuseini are addition­ally facing a charge of unlawful possession of narcotic drugs.

All the accused pleaded not guilty to the charges, and the court presided over by Mrs Susana Eduful remanded them in police custody to reappear on January 10, 2023.

Police Chief Inspector Samuel Ahiabor, pros­ecuting, told the court that the complainants in the case were personnel of the Accra Regional Police Headquarters, while the accused were residents of Nungua.

The prosecution said on September 8, last year, a resident of Nungua petitioned the Police Administra­tion, indicating that a group of young men in Nungua township were engaging in smoking, trading in narcotic drugs and attacking people and robbing them of their valuables.

Chief Insp. Ahiabor said on December 2, last year, personnel from Accra Regional Police Headquarters were de­ployed to patrol Nungua to arrest the suspects.

The prosecution said the police grabbed Obi and Agyare closer to a public toilet at a spot known as Nungua Au­thority, allegedly selling narcotic drugs.

Chief Insp. Ahiabor said when a search was conducted on Agyare, 144 wrappers of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp were retrieved from him.

The prosecution said Fuseini was also arrested in a wooden structure, Nungua Zongo and a search carried out on him revealed 12 wrap­pers and one sachet of dried leaves suspected to be narcotic drugs.

Chief Insp. Ahia­bor told the court that accused were escorted to the Regional Police Headquarters, together with the exhibits.

He said investigations revealed that Agyare was selling the drugs on be­half of Obi, and Fuseini admitted the offence and pleaded with the police for forgiveness.

The prosecution said the exhibits were sealed in the presence of accused and an indepen­dent witness and taken to the Police Forensic Crime Laboratory for examination and report. -GNA

Show More
Back to top button