2 arrested with grenades plead not guilty

Two persons, who were arrested with seven Russian hand grenades at Kwashieman, Accra, in January 2018, on Tuesday pleaded not guilty to charges of possessing explosives and firearms.

Ismaila Ali Musah, 31, and Abdul Karim Yakubu, 30, denied the charges when they appeared before an Accra high court, presided by Mr Justice Charles Ekow Baiden.

The two suspects are expected to face jury trial, made of seven jurors, following their committal to stand trial at the high court by a magistrate court.

The court, prosecution and defence counsels are expected to hold a case management conference after which the trial would commence with the prosecution calling six witnesses.

The prosecution is led by Mrs Sefakor Batsa, a senior state attorney, while accused persons would be represented by Mr Bernard Shaw. 

The case of the state is that, Musah was domiciled in Libya whilst Yakubu was his childhood friend and that on January 15, last year, the police arrested Yakubu with a bag containing the grenades.

The state said according to Yakubu, the said grenades were given to him by Musah who had just returned from Libya.

Prosecution said Musah stated that Yakubu asked him to purchase the grenades and pistols for him, and he managed to transport the weapons through the Togo-Ghana border.

The state said Yakubu confirmed to the police that he asked Musah to purchase the grenades and pistols for him. 
Mrs Sefakor Batsa said Yakubu told investigators that he procured the weapons for one Tanko and Amadu, who live in Bimbilla.

Prosecution said although Yakubu paid for the pistols, however, he could not afford to pay for the seven grenades.

She said on his way to deliver the hand grenades in Accra, Yakubu was arrested by the police.

The prosecution said a technical report on the seven grenades indicated that they originated from Russia, and they could kill or injure people when its strip was mistakenly or intentionally removed. – GNA

Show More
Back to top button