Asamponhene’s murder: Police name key suspect … launch manhunt for Sadat Mohammed, 38

The Ashanti Regional Police Command has secured a court warrant for the arrest of a 38-year old suspect, Sadat Mohammed, who is wanted in connection with the murder of Nana Kwadwo Afodou, Asamponhene of the Manhyia Palace. 

Three persons have so far been arrested by the police to assist with investigations, whilst the police were still pursuing other suspects in connection with the case.

The names of the suspects have not been mentioned by the police for security reasons but one of them is said to be a confidant of the deceased. 

Updating the media about the case yesterday, the Deputy Ashanti Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) David Agyeman Adjin, said investigations revealed that the suspect (Mohammed) was the husband of the queenmother of Pakyi (Number Two) but it was not clear whether the queenmother had any hand in the crime.

According to ACP Adjin, Mohammed was in the company of the deceased at his residence at Kwadaso in the early hours of Sunday, August 18, 2019 before his untimely death later in the day, and so the police was confident he had some information to give.

ACP Adjin explained that the three who have been arrested were also close to the deceased.

The Ghanaian Times reported on August 20, 2019 that the 46-year old chief and owner of the Golden Eye, formerly known as X5 Pub, a popular entertainment joint at Krofrom, a suburb of Kumasi, was allegedly murdered in cold blood in his private black Toyota Land Cruiser, GC 7212-16 at Ebuom, on the Ejura–Nkoransa road at about 4:30pm on Sunday afternoon.

His body was discovered at the back seat of the vehicle with his hands tied at the back, and a deep cut on his forehead with multiple wounds on the body.

The Ghanaian Times further gathered that but, for some church members who were returning from a convention and chanced upon the scene, the body and vehicle would have been burnt as the assassins were said to have set it on fire.

The police arrived on the scene shortly after the Good Samaritans raised the alarm.

Some relatives of the late Asamponhene told the Ghanaian Times that, Nana Afodou went out in the morning for normal Sunday rounds and was alone in his vehicle only for the news of his demise to reach them in the evening.

The family suspected strongly that, the deceased was grabbed by his captors, murdered in cold blood, and taken to the area to create the impression that he was traveling on the highway.

According to the family members, the Asamponhene did not inform anyone that he was traveling to Ejura.


Show More
Back to top button