Witness testifies in Nigerians’ fraud case

After three years of legal tussle in a case in which two Nigerians allegedly swindled Ms. Waltraud Wiesent, a German technical engineer of 248,000 Euros with documents purported to be signed by officials of the ministries of transport and finance, the second prosecution witness gave evidence in court yesterday.

Detective Sargeant Stanley Fiotso of the Greater Accra Regional Criminal Investigations Department told an Accra Circuit Court presided by Afia Agbenu Kumador that he encountered Mark Latif Adijum and Benjamin Taofeek Oluwashola, the first and second accused when he was asked to re-arrest them after they were discharged by the court.

Earlier, William Bannerman Junior addressed a letter to the court that he was indisposed and wanted the case adjourned to October 6, but the Presiding Judge declined the offer, saying that the case had been pending for almost one year since the complainant travelled back to her country.

Besides, she said there was no medical record that the counsel for the accused was indisposed.

Led in evidence by Assistant Superintendent of Police Yirenkyi, Detective Corporal Fiotso told the court that he inherited the case from his colleague, Detective Corporal Awuka who was asked to step aside in 2014.

The investigator tendered the caution statement taken from the accused when they were arrested.

Thereafter, the court asked the accused to cross examine the witness.

The case was adjourned to today.

The fact according to the prosecutor were that some time in 2013, the first accused who paraded as Christopher Walters of Nottingham, UK and does his business in Ghana, allegedly told the victim that he had won a contract with the Government of Ghana worth $ 2.5 million to supply auto parts to six regions in country.

Believing same to be true, Ms. Waltraud, transferred the amount in different accounts at ECOBANK and Guarantee Trust Bank.

The prosecution said the accused invited her to Ghana on two occasions for her to see his business.

According to the prosecution, the two were arrested during one of her visits after the victim realised that she had been defrauded.

In 2015, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Moses Atibillah (ACP) in charge of prosecution asked Chief Inspector Edward Afful and Detective Corporal Robert Awuka, then the prosecutor and investigator, respectively to step aside following misunderstanding between them in which Chief Afful threatened to examine Awuka, the investigator as a hostile witness.

ACP Atibillah led Ms. Waltraud in evidence and tendered documents including email conversations between the witness and the accused, the purported contract agreement with the Government of Ghana which had the signatures of officials of the ministries of transport and finance.

By Malik Sullemana  


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment