What next in Kenya election crisis?

Uhuru Kenyatta has been criss-crossing the country to win support ahead of the re-run

Uhuru Kenyatta has been criss-crossing the country to win support ahead of the re-run

Kenya’s High Court has ruled that all candidates who participated in the August 8 presidential election can now stand in the re-run later this month.
This comes a day after the main opposition candidate, Raila Odinga, announced that he was pulling out.
The re-run was ordered by the Supreme Court, which annulled the August vote won by President Uhuru Kenyatta, citing irregularities and illegalities.
But Mr Odinga says that nothing has changed, so the same mistakes would probably be made in the new election.
Meanwhile, parliament has passed a series of changes to the election law, which the opposition has condemned.
According to the constitution, it must be held by November 1.
And the latest court order means that even though Mr Odinga has pulled out, President Uhuru Kenyatta should still face some competition, unless they all pull out as well.
From Mr Kenyatta’s point of view, that lends some credibility to the poll, even though the other candidates got less than one per cent of the vote between them, so Mr Kenyatta looks set to be re-elected.
Initially, the re-run had been due to only feature President Kenyatta and Mr Odinga, who gained 54 per cent and 45 per cent of the vote respectively.

His National Super Alliance (NASA) says its conditions for a credible election have not been met, and it wants to give the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) more time to introduce reforms.
After the annulment of the presidential election, IEBC chairman Wafula Chebukati promised to make changes to his team, but he is believed to have faced resistance from other commissioners.
Mr Chebukati has, however, appointed a special team to be in charge of the re-run election but it is unclear how it will work with the rest of the commission or what its powers are.
The IEBC has also said that it is contractually bound to stick to the same firms that supplied the electoral material and cannot dismiss them.
After Mr Odinga announced that he was pulling out of the race, the commission said it would seek advice from its legal team on the way forward.
The governing Jubilee Party has said it will carry on with the re-run.
The controversial amendments have been widely criticised by the opposition, religious leaders, rights groups, western diplomats including the US and UK, and the electoral commission. -BBC

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment