News

Weija Gbawe Municipal Assembly schooled on fire safety

FFifty staff of the Weija Gbawe Municipal Assembly have undergone a day’s fire training in Accra.

The training which was under the auspices of the assembly was in collaboration with the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) was to educate participants on best practices in fire management in the country.

The participants included drivers, metro guards and estate officers who were schooled on how to detect fire outbreaks and methods in preventing them, among others.

The Commanding Officer, of the Weija Municipal Fire Station, Divisional Officer Grade II, Isaac Saah called on the public to make fire safety their priority at all times to ensure that lives and properties were saved.

He stressed the need to educate the participants on issues of fire safety to reduce the menace.

DOII Saah said for the first quarter of the year in the Weija Gbawe, 23 fire outbreaks had been recorded; out of that number 10 were domestic and 13 electrical fires.

The Commanding Officer said the sensitisation programme would be replicated in the other assemblies and institutions.

DOII Saah urged the participants to put into use what they had been taught to help reduce the menace of fire outbreaks in the country.

He called for the collaboration of stakeholders in the education drive.

The Fire Safety Officer of Greater Accra Region, of the GNFS, DO II Evans Osei Owusu, in his remarks said artisans should involve personnel of the GNFS for professional advice in the architectural work.

He urged the public to hire the services of qualified electricians for their electrical services and advised the public to always switch off their electrical gadgets and pull out the plugs when leaving homes and the offices.

“The public should also desist from overloading sockets with Fire Safety,” Officer added.

The Human Resource Officer of the Assembly, Mr Francis Atta-Woode, commended the personnel of the Fire Service for their initiative stating that it would go a long way to educate the staff on the best practices.

“In the wake of recent fires in the country, there is the need to sensitise the staff to be abreast to deal with such issues when the need arise,’’ he added.

BY ANITA NYARKO-YIRENKYI

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close