The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has refuted allegations that it locked up the offices of De-Eye Group, an alleged militia said to be conducting training at the Osu Castle in Accra.
According to media reports, the GAF together with some officials from the Jubilee House stopped the activities of the group at the former seat of government, immediately the news broke out.
However, in a statement issued and copied the Ghanaian Times last Friday by ColonelE. Agrrey Quarshie, Director Public Relations, the GAF described the allegation as “completely false.”
It said no soldier had been assigned to follow any official from Jubilee House for such an activity.
“GAF wishes to state categorically that it has not deployed any soldier to the Osu Castle for the stated purpose. Indeed no soldier has been assigned to follow any official to the former seat of Government for such an activity. This allegation is completely false,” the statement said.
The GAF urged the media to be circumspect and cross check their stories before they put them out.
“Once again, we wish to urge the media to be circumspect in their reportage on the GAF at all times. The office of the Director of Public Relations is always open to the media to cross check their stories before they put them out,” it said.
The government was criticised for allowing the De-Eye Group to use the Osu Castle for its operations when the news was published.
But in a sharp rebattal, Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, described the Joy News’ documentary, dubbed: “Militia in the heart of the nation” broadcast on a number of its sister stations on Thursday, March 7, as a mischievous piece meant to paint President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in a negative light.
He asked the station and its reporter, Manasseh Azure Awuni, to do well to correct the inaccuracies and provide the Ghanaian public with the truth and accurate account of the issue to cure the misrepresentation.
BY TIMES REPORTER