WAEC Explains Exams Figures

The West African Examination Council (WEAC) has clarified the statistics on the May/June 2014 West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) results that has created some misconception in the minds of a section of the public.

A statement issued by the council and signed by Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, Principal Public Affairs Officer, said only 3.0 per cent could be said to have failed the examination and not 72 per cent.

According to the statement the concern focused more on the wrong impression given that only 28 per cent passed while 72 per cent failed in the examination.

The statement explained that the fact that 28.11 per cent made aggregates A1 to C6 in six subjects did not mean the remaining 71.89 per cent (approximately 72 per cent) failed in the examination.

“A candidate could obtain A1 in five or more subjects but if the candidate obtains, say D7 in English Language or Mathematics (Core), he/she will not be counted among the 28.11 per cent but that does not mean he/she has failed the examination. He/she could better the grade in that subject and move on.”

It added that “in addition to the earlier statistics, it may interest the public to know that, 74,445(30.74 per cent) obtained grades A1 to C6 in five subjects including English Language and Mathematics (Core) which qualify candidates for other institutions and professions.”

The statement said according to the interpretation of grades for the examination, F9 is a “Fail,” thus those who could be said to have “failed” the WASSCE are the ones who obtained F9 in all subjects they sat for.

It added that the number of such is 7,442 forming 3.07 per cent of the total candidature of 242,162.

“Again, such students always have the opportunity to improve upon their general performance in the examination and pursue courses or professions of their choice,” the statement added.

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment