They were 22 domestic, two vehicular, nine commercial and five bush fires.
The Volta Regional Fire Officer, Assistant Chief Officer, Mawusi Ntow Sarpong, said these yesterday this when she visited the Ho Central market currently under reconstruction as part of the National Fire Safety Week celebration to urge the contractors to conform to safety measures.
She noted that most of the time, market fires were widespread across the country because safety plans were not incorporated into the building plans and so in the event of fire outbreak fire personnel found it difficult to get access to the scene.
She said her visit was also to remind the contractors to ensure that requisite safety measures were put in place to prevent any mishap in case of any fire outbreak.
ACO Sarpong identified the presence of combustible materials, overage wiring illegal connections, power outages, unprofessional personnel for wiring faulty electrical wires and cooking in the markets as some of the causes of fire outbreaks in the markets.
She therefore advised traders to ensure safety measures to make the markets safe for business.
She said safety is paramount in everything we do so this is an element of ensuring that all our operations in fire preventions are conducted in the safest manner possible.
From Kafui Gati, Ho