Villagers kidnapped in north Nigeria

bokoSuspected Boko Haram militants have kidnapped about 40 boys and young men in a raid on a remote village in north-eastern Nigeria, residents say.

People who fled Malari village in Borno state and arrived in the state capital, Maiduguri, late on Friday said the men had been taken on New Year’s Eve.

Last year Boko Haram abducted about 200 girls from a boarding school in Borno.

More than 2,000 people were killed in militant violence last year in north-eastern Nigeria.

Boko Haram has been waging an insurgency since 2009, and is seeking to create an Islamic state in north-eastern Nigeria.

In the latest incident, Malari residents said gunmen had come to the village in pick-up trucks and ordered all males to come out and listen to a sermon.

Young men were then rounded up and taken into a nearby forest.

Last month suspected Boko Haram militants stormed another village, Gumsuri. A survivor told the BBC that 33 villagers had been killed and about 200 people kidnapped.

Militants attacks have increased since three Nigerian states – Borno, Adamawa and Yobe – were put under emergency rule more than 18 months ago.

The kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in April sparked international outrage.

Despite military assistance from countries such as China, France, the UK and the US, the girls have not yet been rescued. — BBC

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment