University of Ghana admits 12,811 students for 2017/2018 academic

A section of the students taking the matriculation oath.Photo Michael Ayeh (3)

A section of the students taking the matriculation oath.Photo Michael Ayeh (3)

A total of 12,811 students were admitted into the University of Ghana last Saturday to pursue various undergraduate and post-graduate degree programmes for the 2017/2018 academic year.

Out of the number 11,216 were admitted to undergraduate studies out of which 5,828 representing 52 per cent were males while the remaining 5,388 representing 48 per cent were females.

One thousand five hundred and ninety-five students made up of 921 males and 674 females were also enrolled into various graduate programmes.

In an address, the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ebenezer Oduro Owusu, pointed out that the University was on the verge of attaining a 50:50 ratio in female and male enrolment judging from this year’s admission figures.

According to him, despite infrastructural challenges facing the school, it had provided accommodation for 1227 females and 1261 males which “clearly indicates an improvement in female, male ratio trend and we will continue to do our best in that direction” to promote equality.”

Prof. Owusu said, as part of the strategic directions of the University, it was embarking on a green project to create an environment that was green and healthy as well as develop a waste disposal system that would “rely on separation of waste to serve as a model for Ghana.”

“Currently, the students recycling team have started the separation of waste in some halls of residence and are ensuring that plastics and other unwanted items are dropped appropriately into provided bins and not scattered around as seen in most parts of the country,” he stated.

Touching on the establishment of the University’s endowment fund expected to diversify the school’s sources of internally generated fund and reduce financial burden on students, he entreated the entire student body to contribute immensely to the fund.

“We are expected to raise over US $ 100M over the next 5 years to support graduate studies and research, in line with our strategic objective of becoming a research intensive University,” he explained.

The Vice Chancellor entreated the matriculants to imbibe the core values of the University including loyalty, respect, integrity and commitment to achieve excellence both in their studies and social life.

“Channel your energies towards your studies which is your primary aim for being here as we give you the necessary support and guide,” he urged.

Mr. David Henry Boakye-Yeboah speaking on behalf of the fresh students after they had taken an oath to be of good behaviour urged authorities to expedite efforts at making registration processes much easier.

“One of the greatest challenges faced by students is accommodation and the online registration although it is helpful as compared to the manual registration. We plead that authority’s work on such issues as soon as possible to make life comfortable for students,” he said.

He on behalf of his colleagues pledged to abide by the school’s regulations and be good ambassadors of the University to raise high its image.

 

By Abigail Annoh & Allia Noshie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment