Two Remanded In Custody For Smoking ‘Wee’

120827071307-smoking-pot-story-topAn  Accra Circuit Court, on Monday remanded two persons in custody for using narcotic drugs without lawful authority.

Samuel Mensah, 19, a metal scrap dealer and Kojo Agyemang, 18, a street hawker, were alleged to have been found smoking dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp.

The two were remanded into police custody to reappear before the court on January 13, 2014.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Patrick Morkeh, said on January 1 at about 1.15 pm a team of police personnel from the Ministries Police Command, went to the Arts Centre Beach on patrol duties, a normal practice done by the police on every festive occasion.

He said the police visited a drinking spot in an enclosed area popularly called “Evans Cecil Tyson,” and Samuel and Kojo were found smoking dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp.

DSP Morkeh said the police arrested the suspects and a search conducted on them, revealed one wrap each of dried leaves, suspected to be Indian hemp.

In another development, the Debiso Magistrate Court has remanded three people in custody for illegally dealing in narcotic drugs.

The accused are Kofi Karikari, 26, Augustine Nti, 21, and Karim Sanah, a farm labourer. Their pleas were not taken and they would re-appear on January 22.

They were arrested for possessing 100 parcels of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp at Bamia Cottage on December 23, last year, in the Bia West District of the Western Region.

Prosecuting, Assistant Superintendent of Police, Daniel Wiafe, told the court that the police were on routine checks at Sefwi-Adabokrom in the Bia East District on December 21 and spotted an Opel Caravan.

He said the police signalled the vehicle to stop, but when asked to produce the vehicle’s documents the driver sped off.

The prosecution said the police intercepted the vehicle and arrested the accused on December 23 last year at Sefwi-Yametwa and upon investigations 100 slabs of dried leaves were retrieved.

ASP Wiafe said the substance had been sent to the Police Forensic Laboratory in Accra for testing.—GNA.

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment