Two Fulani Herdsmen Jailed For Cattle Rustling

chief-justice-georgina-woodTwo Fulani herdsmen, were yester-day slapped with a total of nine years in prison in hard labour by a Koforidua Magistrate court for stealing 42 cattle valued at GH¢50,000.

Amadu Amarga, the first convict, was given a five year sentence in hard labour on three counts of conspiracy to commit crime, abetment of crime and stealing. The second convict, Amadu Umaro, was also given a four year sentence in hard labour on two counts of conspiracy to commit crime and stealing.

Presenting the facts of the case, Chief Inspector of Police Patrick Adzadza told the court, presided over by Mrs. Barbara Charway, that in April 2011, the two convicts went into Alhaji Issaka’s cattle ranch at Batorkpe, near Donkorkrom, drove away the caretaker, one Sumalia and bolted with the 42 cattle.

Chief Inspector Adzadza said the convicts took the cattle to a transit point before transporting the animals to an unknown destination.
He said one Alhaji Osumanu Yaro, who lived in the area, had the information that the stolen cattle were first sent to the first convict, Amarga’s kraal.

The prosecutor told the court that Alhaji Yaro, accompanied by three others, namely Amadu Doti, Sidiki and Yakubu, confronted the first convict, Amarga, who admitted stealing the cattle. According to the Prosecutor, Amarga then pleaded with Alhaji Yaro not to divulge the information to the owner of the stolen cattle.

He said the following day, Amarga went to the house of Alhaji Yaro and gave him a cash of GH¢200 to bribe him in the presence of the three witnesses in order to persuade them to keep quiet over the issue.

The presecution further told the court that Alhaji Yaro, on receiving  the money, called the owner of the stolen cattle, Alhaji Issaka, and informed him of Amarga’s action.

He said the two went to the police station with the said amount as exhibit and lodged a complaint.
Mr. Adzadza explained that the first and second convicts, having heard that the owner of the stolen cattle had been informed about their nefarious act, went into hiding.

He said they were later arrested by the police from their hideout at Donkor-krom, upon a tip-off and were charged with the offences after investigations. –  Ama Tekyiwaa Ampadu-Nyarko,

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment