Turkey in mourning after deadly blast

Protesters raise their fists in salute to those killed in Saturday's bombings

Protesters raise their fists in salute to those killed in Saturday’s bombings

Thousands of people have gathered in the centre of Turkey’s capital, Ankara, to pay tribute to the victims of bomb blasts which killed at least 95 people.

Brief scuffles broke out between the crowd and the police after some mourners tried to lay carnations at the site of the bombings.

The pro-Kurdish HDP party, which organised Saturday’s rally, said 128 people were killed in the attacks.

Protesters have blamed the government for security failures around the rally.

The government has rejected suggestions that it was to blame for the bombing.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said there was evidence that two suicide bombers had carried out the attack.

Turkey declared three days of mourning after Saturday’s attack, the deadliest ever in Turkey.

No group has said it carried out the attack, but Mr Davutoglu suggested that Kurdish rebels or the Islamic State (IS) group were to blame.

The blasts took place near the city’s central train station as people gathered for a march organised by leftist groups demanding an end to the violence between the Kurdish separatist PKK militants and the Turkish government.

Amateur video footage showed a group of young people holding hands and singing, as the first blast hit. The explosions left 245 people injured, with 48 of them in serious condition.

On Sunday, thousands of people had gathered at the square in central Ankara where a peace rally had been due to take place before it was interrupted by violence.

There was a clear sense of anger towards the government, with people blaming it for security failures.

The bombing comes at a very significant and tense time. Funerals have become a routine event and even before Saturday’s blasts, emotions were running high across the country.

Now people are concerned about a further escalation in violence and maintaining security at elections in three weeks’ time.

Terrorism experts have said the attack is similar to one that was carried out in Suruc, in southern Turkey, by IS in July in which 30 people died, our correspondent says.

However, the leader of the HDP party, whose members were among those attending the rally, has blamed the state and cancelled all election rallies.


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment