Trader steals container of margarine

Augustina Koomson, a 49-year-old businesswoman has been arrested by the police for allegedly stealing a shipping container load of Bornean Whistler edible margarine worth GH¢99,187.50.

Her accomplice, only named as David, is on the run and being sought for by the police.

Ms. Koomson, also known as Mavis Akos, pleaded not guilty to three counts of conspiracy to commit crime, stealing and issuing of false cheques, when she appeared before an Accra Circuit Court presided over by Eva Bannerman Williams yesterday.

Praying the court to admit his client to bail, Sumaila Amadu Ndeche argued that the arrest of Ms. Koomsoon was one of mistaken identity.

He said the accused was hypertensive and under medication, adding that keeping her in custody might worsen her condition.  

Ms. Koomsoon was said to have gone into hiding after taking delivery of 11,587 cartons of margarine valued at GH¢62.50 per carton belonging to Valentine Unegbu, a businessman.

Prosecuting, Assistant Superintendent of Police, (ASP) Stephen Adjei told the court that the complainant imported the multi-purpose margarine into the country for sale in June 2014.

He said on June 3, 2014, while on a business trip in Cameroon, the complainant received a telephone call from Ms. Koomson offering to buy the consignment.

Following her request, Unegbu instructed one of his employees to supply the product to Ms Koomson on condition of full payment.

He said the accused then asked the supplier to offload the consignment into a rented shop at Tesano which he obliged.

Thereafter, the accused arranged for the supplier to meet her at Fiesta Royal Hotel, at which time, Unegbu who had returned from Cameroon, went together with his employee to meet Ms. Kommson at the said hotel.

There the accused issued three GT Bank cheques totaling GH¢73,750 with the promise that she would pay the remaining GH¢25,000 the next day.

When the cheques were presented at the bank, they were found dud and rejected.

There and then, the complainant rushed to the warehouse only to discover that the goods had been removed by the accused.

Unegbu’s efforts to trace the accused proved abortive as all her phones were switched off.

On August 11, 2015, the police arrested Koomson at her hideout at Pokuase, on the Accra-Kumasi road and efforts were being made to apprehend her accomplice.

Meanwhile, Ms. Koomsoon was admitted to bail in the sum of GH¢200,000, with three sureties, one to be justified albeit, against the prosecutor’s request, arguing that the accused might interfere with their investigations.

By Malik Sullemana    

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment