THE FIRES AGAIN?

The  year 2015 has started on a very sad note, with a series of fire outbreaks occurring in parts of the country.

We are just six days into the new year and the country has recorded not less than four fire outbreaks in Accra and Aflao in the Volta Region.

The first incident occurred at the Dome market near Achimota on New Year’s Eve, with items running into millions of Ghana Cedis destroyed.

Then, on Friday, January 2, a six-year-old girl was burnt to death, when fire gutted a two-storey building at Kuku Hill, Osu in Accra. A nine-month-old baby who sustained severe injuries in the inferno, died at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, the same day.

As if that was not enough, a warehouse in the North Industrial Area in Accra belonging to Melcom Stores, was ravaged by another fire, in the early hours of Saturday.

Large quantities of goods, including television sets and other electrical appliances, were destroyed.

The latest incident involved a spare parts store within the precincts of the Ghana Grid Company (GRIDCo) sub-station at Aflao, in the Volta Region, on Sunday, January 4.

The fire, which affected various equipments and materials, also disrupted power supply to the Ketu South District and parts of Lome, the Togolese capital.

The Times is worried over these unfortunate incidents, especially, with the loss of human lives, and hopes the bereaved families would recover quickly from the shock and trauma they are going through, at the moment.

Beginning the year with such fire outbreaks, is not the best for the country, and we pray that the good Lord, would protect us against more of these infernos.

It is necessary to remind ourselves that the harmattan is at its peak, and therefore, the least negligence by households and traders in our markets, can lead to fire outbreaks.

We also implore industrial establishments and factories to install proper fire response mechanisms and systems, to provide them the early warnings of fire outbreaks.

Now that the load shedding exercise has resumed, we advise residents to adhere strictly to the time-table, and make sure that electrical gadgets which are not in immediate use are switched off, to avert any untold disaster.

Most domestic fires could also be caused by candles and mosquito coils, so we advise residents to use re-chargeable lights and mosquito sprays, as alternatives.

We should be careful, because these fire outbreaks are causing untold hardships and serious harm to the society!

And we cannot go through them again, as we did in 2014!

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment