Tema residents educated on fire prevention

Dr. Albert Brown Gaisie, Chief Fire Officer  (19)...

Dr. Albert Brown Gaisie, Chief Fire Officer

The District Fire Officer for the Devtraco Fire Station,Tema for the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), Divisional Officer Grade II, Jennifer Naa Yarley Quaye, has reechoed the importance of switching off all electrical appliances and removing the plugs from the sockets after use before leaving a building.

She said electrical sockets should also be fixed at a place that is out of the reach of children to prevent them from inserting nails, sticks and other items into them.

Speaking at a fire safety education programme for residents of Tema Community 25, she said it was unfortunate that basic things people had to do to ensure safety in the home were being taken for granted.

D.O. II Quaye said it was uncommon to visit some offices or homes to find some members of the public who have permanently left the plugs of their electrical appliances in their wall sockets.

She also condemned the practice of overloading sockets, and prolonged use of appliances.

She highlighted the need for routine inspection of facilities at the close of each day’s work, especially, to ensure that no electrical appliance was left unattended or sockets left on among others.

The Operations Officer for the Devtraco Fire Station, Assistant Divisional Officer II, John Abeiku Blankson, expressed his displeasure about the low turn out at fire education programmes.

He appealed to the public to take fire safety education seriously to prevent fire outbreaks.

He advised the public to ensure that they have the phone numbers of the GNFS readily available so that they could call on fire personnel for assistance on time.

From Dzifa Tetteh, Tema

email
Print Friendly

Leave a Comment