Suspects in Major Mahama case transferred to Accra

culpritsA Cape Coast District Court yesterday discontinued the case against seven persons, who were arrested for their alleged involvement in the murder of Major Maxwell Adam Mahama, at Denkyira Obuasi, in the Upper Denkyira District in the Central region.

The seven were first remanded into police custody on June 1, 2017, when they were arraigned in court upon the request of the prosecution in the case for further investigations.

Following the decision of the court, the police would now transfer the accused to Accra where a number of residents from Denkyira Obuasi rounded up in connection with the lynching of the army officer had already been remanded.

The accused are William Baah, 36, Assembly Member and a teacher; Yaw Annor, 32, mason, Philip Badu, 30, prison assistant; Bismark Donkor, 30, farmer, Kofi Badu, 29, farmer, Kofi Nyame, 29, farmer, and Anthony Amoah, 23, an “okada” rider.
The judge, Ms. Rita Amonyiwaa Edusah, ordered prosecution to ensure that Baah, and other accused with a leg injury as well as all others who may require health care to be given the needed medical care.

When the case was called, the prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Hilarious Avonyo, told the court that the Police Criminal Intelligence Department, in Accra, would take over the case, and prayed the court to discharge the accused.

Counsel for the accused, George Bernard Shaw, did not object to the request by the prosecution, but said Baah, was suffering from head injury, and pleaded with the court to order the prosecution to ensure that the accused received medical attention.
The late Major Maxwell Mahama  (then Captain) was lynched and partly burnt by a mob at Denkyira-Obuasi,  on May 29, 2017, after he was allegedly mistaken for an armed robber, while jogging.

He was given a state burial on Friday, June 9, with “full military honours” at the Osu Military Cemetery, after a burial service at the forecourt of the State House.
About 50 persons have so far been arrested in connection with the murder, out of which some have been remanded in police custody.

From David O. Yarboi-Tetteh, Cape Coast

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment