Suspect Dies In Cells… Other Inmates Gripped With Fear

Inmates of the cells of the Accra Central District Police Headquarters are living in fear, following the death of a suspect in the cells.

Miracle Friday Elijah, the 28-year-old Nigerian, died last Sunday, August 24.

The source said Elijah died barely 10 hours after suffering  a running tummy, and profuse vomiting.

It said the inmates raised an alarm about Elijah’s condition around 9.p.m., penultimate to  his death, but the police turned  deaf ears to them. “If the police had responded to the distress call by the inmates, he wouldn’t have died”, the source said.

Conditions at the Central Police cells are said to be ‘deplorably inhuman’ and inmates dread the outbreak of an epidemic, if the situation is not improved.

Elijah, a footballer, who is alleged to have come to Ghana to seek greener pastures, was granted police enquiry bail last month, but the police allegedly said he could not meet the bail conditions.

A  source at the police station, who disclosed this to The Times, blamed  the Police investigator, Prosper Akator, who is handling the case, for deliberately thwarting  the bail.

The police, however, denied the allegation that the suspect died of a possible cholera outbreak and also that its investigator deliberately held the suspect in cells.

The Head of the Accra Regional Police Public Affairs Unit, Assistant Superintendent  (ASP) Mrs. Afia Tenge, said the suspect who was being held for fraud, died on Sunday morning when he was taken to the Police Hospital after complaining of a stomach upset, reports Francis Asamoah Tuffour.

In an interview with The Ghanaian Times yesterday, she said the police were willing to  release him on bail, but he could not meet the bail condition.

Narrating the incident, Mrs. Tenge said on Saturday evening, Elijah complained of stomach ache and was rushed to the Police Hospital where he was treated and discharged, and sent back to the cells.

The following day, Sunday, Elijah again complained  of the pain and was consequently rushed to the same hospital but died on arrival.

He was alleged to have defrauded a woman of GH¢14, 000 under the pretext of supplying her rice.

She said sometime this year, the suspect promised to supply 150 bags of rice at GH¢20,000 to a businesswoman and collected GH¢14, 000 as part payment for it, but  went into hiding.

After intense search without locating him, the complainant, whose name is being withheld by the police, reported the matter and after a search, Elijah was arrested and  put before court.

ASP Tenge said the court later granted him bail with  two sureties, both of whom should be public servants and earning at least GH¢1,000 salaries, but Elijah could not meet the bail condition.

The body, she said, had been deposited at the Police Hospital, for autopsy.

By Times Reporter 

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment