South Sudan’s rebel leader has accused the government of violating a ceasefire hours after it came into effect.
Riek Machar said the army attacked his forces in two northern states, allegations which the military denies.
President Salva Kiir, under the threat of sanctions from the UN, signed a peace agreement on Wednesday, despite “serious reservations”.
Several ceasefires to end the brutal 20-month conflict in the world’s youngest nation have failed to hold.
The ceasefire came into effect at midnight local time on Saturday (21:00 GMT).
Mr Machar said his troops remained committed to the ceasefire despite the reported attacks in northern Unity and Upper Nile states, but would act in self-defence if the offensive continues.
“The government is unable to control its own troops,” Mr Machar told reporters in Ethiopia.
He also accused the government of launching a “belligerent convoy”, including gunships, on the River Nile from the capital Juba.
The convoy had been bombarding villages as it headed through rebel-held territory on its way north, he said.
Army spokesman Col Philip Aguer denied that there were any government troops operating in the areas where the alleged attacks took place.