Soldiers brutalize Kwesimintsim police

Some items destroyed by the  soldiers

Some items destroyed by the soldiers

About 20 soldiers on Sunday, stormed the Kwesimintsim Police station with two military pick-ups, ransacked and vandalised the place, over the arrest of their colleagues, who were detained in connection with the arrest of a Ghanaian in the British Army for dangerous driving.
In the ensuing scuffle, two police men of the station, including Sergeant Yaa Serwaa, were injured.
The soldiers also allegedly vandalised anything, including dressing mirrors, tables and chairs and sheets of paper containing statements taken from suspects.
The rampaging soldiers from the Air Force allegedly brutalised the police personnel with clubs and metal hooks.

The injured leg of Sgt Serwaa

The injured leg of Sgt Serwaa

The command at the Air force Base in Takoradi has however revealed that the alleged attack on the Kwesiminstim police station on Sunday by soldiers from the base, had no official backing.
It added that, the rampaging officers went to the police station on their own accord.
“The attack was not officially sanctioned by the base commander. The soldiers went there on their own volition,” a highly placed source told The Ghanaian Times yesterday.
It indicated that the command had begun investigations into the matter to get the full details of the incident.
“We are cooperating with the Regional Police Command to resolve the matter,” the source stated.
Meanwhile, addressing a news conference at the Kwesimintsim police station after a meeting of all the service commanders here the Commander of Two Garrison, Commodore James Osei Kontoh, hinted that punishment would be meted out to those soldiers who committed that violent act on Sunday.
He said, military administrative procedures would be used in punishing those found culpable.
Commodore Kontoh, who is also the Flag Officer Commanding the Western NavalCommand, indicated that, it was the vision of the military high command to always educate and instill discipline into military personnel.
He told journalists that investigations were ongoing in the infractions that occurred between the police and the military at Kwesiminstim.
“There is a strong bond between the military and the police and we will continue with It,” the Two Garrison Commander stated.
The Western Regional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Akuribah Yaagy, said the police and the military command were cooperating to ensure that the matter was resolved amiably to reduce tension.
Earlier, at about 11pm on Saturday, the Police patrol team arrested a British soldier, one Kofi Frimpong, for allegedly drunk driving vehicle with the registration number AS 2959-09 and was sent to the Kwesimintsim Police Station.
Whilst at the detention, Frimpong allegedly called a relative at the Ghana Air force in Takoradi and informed him of his arrest, after which a flying officer (name not disclosed) stormed the Kwesimintsim Police Station with about six soldiers demanding the release of the suspect.
The two police personnel at the station, refused to release Frimpong because the arresting officer was absent.
Later, The Ghanaian Times gathered that the seven were granted bail to appear again on Monday, only for the 20 military men to reorganise a comeback on Sunday, to subject Sgt Yaa Serwaa and another policeman to beatings.
Sgt. Serwaa suffered injuries on the leg.
At the time of going to press, the military and police command were in a crunch meeting over the incident.

From Clement Adzei Boye, Takoradi

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment