No Show In Accra

KotokoFOOTBALL fans who trooped to the Accra Sports Stadium yesterday to watch the 2014 MTN FA Cup quarter-finals clash between regional foes Kumasi Asante Kotoko and Obuasi AshantiGold left disappointed when the ‘Miners’ failed to turn up for the game.

The game was originally scheduled for the Kumasi Baba Yara Stadium but due to the home ban imposed on Kotoko by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) for misconduct in a Premier League game against Kpando Heart of Lions at the same venue, the grounds had to be changed.

Before noon, scores of vociferous supporters from far and near began to troop for the game which winner would be joining Inter Allies, Aduana Stars and Medeama SC for the last-four draw.

Most of the supporters had little doubt that the game would not come off until the unexpected spectacle unfolded right before their eyes.

“I travelled all the way from Kumasi to watch my darling club play only for this disappointment” one fan snarled.

The visibly angry fan, who was in a Kotoko replica jersey over white jeans shorts with a red and white cap plus a red muffler to match, who spoke to the Times Sports, called for hefty punishment to be meted out to AshantiGold for disregarding the rules of the game in the country and causing this disgrace to Ghana football.

Everybody concerned with the game was on hand including peace officers, paramedics, MTN FA Cup Committees officials as well as SuperSports who had positioned all their equipment, ready to beam live the game to millions across Africa and the world.

As the hours turned into minutes and into seconds, the crowd grew bigger and at exactly 2:45 pm match commissioner Mr. Prosper Harrison Addo led out match officials Samuel Gyasi, and his two assistants Effa Tetteh and Alex Anning as well as fourth official Otis Oppong onto the pitch together with the players of the Porcupine Warriors for the game.

After going through the formalities for the game to commence, Referee Gyasi signaled for the game to start and after 30 minutes of waiting for their opponents, he whistled to call off the game with Kotoko being declared winners of the game.

Soon after the whistle went, the Kotoko players led by captain Jordan Opoku threw their hands into the air in jubilation and making it the semi-finals for the fourth time in a row.

Earlier on Saturday afternoon, news was rife that the Miners were going to boycott their request for change of venue from the Accra Sports Stadium to the  Bekwai Park which was closer – if their request was turned down. By Raymond Ackumey

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment