Security operative arrested for shooting passenger

 Richard Amponsah Gyamfi

Richard Amponsah Gyamfi

A national Security operative, who shot a passenger on board a taxi cab in the neck for challenging him, has been arrested.

Francis Twumasi, a driver at National Security Castle Annex, shot Richard Amponsah Gyamfi during an argument between him, the taxi driver and a passenger over a U-turn he (Twumasi) wanted to make at Ayibey Town, near Weija Accra.

The passenger is currently in a critical condition awaiting surgery at the 37 Military Hospital.

Briefing The Ghanaian Times in Accra yesterday, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Effia Tenge said on Monday, the passenger and two others on board a taxi cab from Kasoa to Weija got to Ayibey Town, where they met a National Security vehicle being driven by Francis from the opposite direction

She said there, Francis wanted to make a U-turn using the same lane in which the taxi cab was, and therefore, Francis requested the taxi driver to move backwards to allow him enough space to make the turn.

The taxi driver consented and moved back but Francis said the space was not big enough for him to turn so the taxi driver should go back a little further.

The taxi driver however, told him he could not move back any further as there was no space behind him, and that the least move backwards would result in his crashng into someone’s vehicle.

Francis, who was not happy with the taxi driver’s reply, insisted that he moved back or he would arrest him.

This brought Gyamfi to the taxi driver’s defence, saying, there was no space for the driver to move back, and arresting him over the issue would be wrong.

Angered by Gyamfi’s utterance, Francis went into the security vehicle and pulled out a pistol and shot Gymafi in the neck at a close range, leaving him unconscious.

The other two passengers, believed to be Gyamfi’s brothers, took him to Finny Hospital which was a few metres away from the scene.

Gyamfi was given a first aid treatment and referred to the Police Hospital which also referred him to the 37 Military Hospital.

ASP Tenge said investigations were still on-going and that the suspect, was being processed for court.

By Charles Amankwa

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment