Robber admits killing Chinese engineer

Ekow Korsah, 23-year-old labourer accused of killing a Chinese Engineer at Sakumono in the Greater Accra Region, on April 13, 2017, has readily admitted his guilt before the Accra Circuit Court “One” on Wednesday.

But his accomplice, Michael Mensah, also known as Munkor, pleaded not guilty.

The judge, Mr. Aboagye Tandoh, however, deferred the sentence of Ekow  to May 10, 2017.

The two Ghanaians, both residents of Lashibi, in Accra, have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime, robbery and murder of Ren Guang Fa, 50, an engineer at the Ruisser Investment, a Chinese engineering company.

Chief Superintendent Duuti Tuaruka told the court that the accused worked in the same company, Ruisser Investment, with Guana Fa and on April 13, 2017, the driver of the deceased, Mr. Emmanuel Owusu, who is a complainant, went to the house of the deceased at about 8:30am to take him to work, but noticed that his doors were opened.

He said that the complainant called the deceased a number of times but there was no response so he went to his bedroom only to detect that the room had been ransacked.

Surprised at what he saw in the bedroom, Mr. Owusu proceeded to the bathroom and found Fa dead and lying in a pool of blood and reported the matter to the police.

According to the prosecutor, the police went to the deceased’s house and were informed that Ekow Korsah and Michael Mensah came to the house of the deceased at about 8:30pm on that fateful day.

He said on April 16, 2017, Ekow was arrested at Lashibi, in Accra, and a search conducted led to the retrieval of a Huawei P8 mobile phone and its charger, which were identified by a brother of the deceased, Tin Ming, as the property of Guang Fa.

Ekow admitted in his caution statement that he went to the deceased’s house with Michael  to rob, and that they used a kitchen knife to cut the wrist of the deceased resulting in his death and later robbed him.

Chief Supt. Tuaruka said that Ekow took GH¢620.00 as his share whilst Michael pocketed GH¢520.00 in addition to a desktop computer and personal belongings.

He stated that Michael was arrested at Teshie in the Greater Accra Region and he led the police to his hometown, Ekumfi-Akrah, in the Central Region where the desktop computer and dresses were retrieved.

He also admitted in his cautioned statement as having taken part in killing Ren Guang Fa at Sakumono.

The accused were remanded in police custody until May 10 when the fate of Ekow Korsah who had already pleaded guilty, would be determined.

By Castro Zangina-Tong      

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment