Riot in Adenta … as residents clash with police over death of pedestrian

Angry residents burning tyres at the accident scene

Angry residents burning tyres at the accident scene

Residents of Adenta, a suburb in Accra, went berserk yesterday after another speeding vehicle knocked and killed a young lady on the stretch.

The lady, assumed to be around 22 years, was believed to be returning from the West African Secondary School (WASS) where she had completed a registration exercise for the gold track system.

Residents in anger blocked the highway in protest of the increased deaths, burning tyres and chanting songs – thereby making it impossible for vehicles to and from Aburi to use the road.

An attempt by a dispatched police team to the area to control protesters turned messy as angry residents pelted stones at the police amidst the firing of warning shots, tear gas and spraying of water cannons.

Information picked up by the paper indicated that a stray bullet by the police hit a woman and her son in a vehicle around the SDA junction as they were trying to manuevre their way from the accident scene.

The condition of the woman and her son was unclear as of the time of going to bed.

According to an eyewitness account, the vehicle knocked down the student at about 4pm and though the driver stopped in an attempt to save the lifeless body, upon seeing the crowd amassing and sensing danger, he sped off.

The body of the young lady had since been picked up by the Adentan police and deposited at the mortuary.

At the accident scene, (WASS intersection), is located an uncompleted footbridge which is part of six others along the stretch which had stalled exposing commuters, who cross the road daily to high risk.

Barely a week ago, a lady, popularly referred to as Ataa, was also killed instantly while crossing the highway with the boyfriend at the area near the SDA Intersection at about 8pm.

The latest adds to the about 200 lives lost on the highway, accounting for about one-eighth of road accidents that had occurred on the stretch this year.

Residents had planned of a peaceful demonstration on Monday to prevail on city authorities to complete the stalled footbridges.


Print Friendly

Leave a Comment