Management Cape FM, a radio station in Cape Coast has instituted legal action against the Oguaa Traditional Council at a Cape Coast High Court over the organisation of a street carnival.
The event has recently become part of the weeklong activities to mark the annual Fetu Afahye.
The ensuing legal tussle followed weeks of a collision course between the two parties over the carnival of which the council said it had not authorised the station to organise, while the management of the station feels unperturbed since it initiated it.
The management of the station is praying the court for five reliefs which includes a declaration that the traditional council has no authority to prevent them from running advertisement for the carnival dubbed “Orange Friday” or subsequently organising it.
The station also wants the court to declare that that the traditional council has no right to call for and peruse any proposal from the station with the intention of granting it permission as well as a declaration that the council cannot replace the “Orange Friday” with another carnival.
The station also wants the court to award any cost it sees appropriate in their favor against the traditional council.
Nana Kwame Edu VI, Tufuhen of the traditional area, who confirmed the suit to The Ghanaian Times in an interview on Wednesday, said the council received the writ of summons on Tuesday and has eight days to file a defence.
The “Orange Friday” carnival introduced in 2013 and named as such by Cape FM is held on the Friday prior to the grand durbar to climax the festival and characterised by revelers wearing orange attire and trekking through some principal streets amidst music and dance.
With the orange dress code, representing the station’s colour, the carnival became an instant sensation and one of the activities to which many revelers, both young and old from far and near looked forward to each year.
However, this year’s edition has sparked controversy following a decision by the Traditional Council to call for a proposal from the radio station before it is authorised to organise it, a development the station has vehemently objects to.
At a press conference organised last week to address issues arising from this year’s festival, Nana Kwame Edu VI, the Tufuhen of Oguaa and committee spokesperson, served notice that the council would allow only events it has approved to take place during the festival.
He disclosed that another company had submitted a proposal to the planning committee to organise a carnival and it had been authorised to introduce what would be known as “Cape Coast Carnival”.
He said as enshrined in the Chieftaincy Act , 2008 (Act756) the council reserve the right as the custodian of the customs and traditions of the traditional area, to observe the festival as it deemed fit without any interference.
“It is when and only when, the planning committee had given you a written permission on an applicant’s proposal that you can use to solicit for sponsors for your activity. Anything short of this is an affront to established norms and traditions”, Nana Kwame Edu stated.
The festival which starts from Saturday August 27, 2016 with a grand durbar on Saturday September 3, is on the theme “Falling standards of education in the Cape Coast metropolis; the stakeholders’ responsibilities”
From Jonathan Donkor, Cape Coast