Queens fail to snatch final ticket

QueensHosts Cameroon booked their place in the final of the women’s Africa Cup of Nations with a 1-0 win over Ghana.
A scrappy goal on 71 minutes, when Raissa Feudijo finally scored after Njoya Ajara’s effort had been cleared off the line, proved decisive.
In the first half, Cameroon’s Aboudi Gabrielle Ongeune hit the post but there were few other chances.
Late in the match, they almost made it 2-0 but Michelle Ngono Mani’s shot was tipped on to the bar and over.
Ghana’s substitute keeper Patricia Mantey, who came on after Ama Nana Asantewa was stretchered off with a head injury, made the save but the result was already beyond the Black Queens.
Cameroon, who have lost in the final three times, will face the winner of yesterday’s late game between South Africa and Nigeria.
The Indomitable Lionesses will take heart from their semi-final performance, having battled hard to overcome Ghana – and perhaps they might have won by a bigger margin.
With every seat occupied and many more fans fans standing in the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo in Yaounde, Cameroon were urged on by a huge and noisy crowd.
They began brightly and on 25 minutes, Ongeune used her pace down the left and what seemed like a cross turned into an effort on goal that came off the post.
Moments later, there was some brave keeping from Asantewaa, who parried away a cross and then threw herself at the feet of the oncoming Cameroon attackers.
After 55 minutes, Cameroon thought they had scored when Ysis Sonkeng swung the ball into the box and Michelle Akaba fired the ball into the net only for the Zambian referee Gladys Lengwe to give a foul on the keeper.
When Cameroon’s goal finally came, it was after a messy scramble as the Ghana keeper dropped the ball, Gaelle Eganamouit’s weak shot rebounded to Ajara, whose effort was cleared off the line before Raissa Feudijo scored.
In the final minute, Mani’s fierce shot from the edge of the area was tipped on to the woodwork by Mantey.



Print Friendly

Leave a Comment