Presidential jet catches fire

Ghana Presidential JetThe Presidential Jet yesterday caught fire, when it attempted to take off at the Kotoka International Airport.

The fire was attributed to a friction between the wheels and the runway surface.

Fire tenders from the Air Force Base and that of the main airport were quickly mobilised to control the fire.

The aircraft, Falcon 900, was tasked to perform a special mission at Malabo today, March 3, 2015.

A press statement issued by the Ghana Armed Forces and signed by the Director of Public Relations, Lieutenant Commander, Andy La-anyane, explained that “the fire was caused as a result of friction between the wheels and the runway surface”.

It explained further that on departure from the Kotoka International Airport, the crew experienced slight operational problems with the computer system. As a result, the aircraft returned to the Air Force Base in Accra to reset the computers.

It said during the second run for take-off, the “aircraft lost two main left wheels”.

According to the statement “in spite of the serious veering of the aircraft to the left, they managed to slow and successfully turned off the runway without veering into the shoulders of the runway. The aircraft stopped successfully” but it was later discovered that the left wheels were on fire.

It saod “emergency procedures were followed with the disembarkation of the passengers and the fighting of the fire. Fire extinguishers on board were used to bring the situation under control”.

This is the second time in three months that the Presidential Jet has encountered a problem.

Last December, President Mahama confirmed that the jet he was travelling on, developed a technical fault which caused his late attendance to the 30th National Farmers Day celebrations in the Western Region.

The President and his entourage arrived in Sefwi Wiawso around 1pm after the event he was scheduled to attend had begun two hours earlier.

By Times Reporter

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment